Staff Code of Conduct
At Rabbit Patch Day Nursery, we take the safety and welfare of our children and staff seriously. This policy ensures staff behave in an appropriate manner to act as a role model for and protect all children in their care. Within this policy we will also ensure that any changes to staff behaviours or ways of working are closely monitored, discussed and supported to ensure all children are safeguarded throughout their time here.
Expected staff behaviour
Within our nursery we expect our staff to:
- Put our children first. The safety, welfare and ongoing development of children is the most important part of their role
- Behave as a positive role model for the children in their care by remaining professional at all times and demonstrating caring attitudes to all
- Work as part of the wider team, cohesively and openly
- Be aware of their requirements under the Statutory Framework for the EYFS and the nursery policies and procedures designed to keep children safe from harm whilst teaching children and supporting their early development
- React appropriately to any safeguarding concerns quickly and concisely in accordance with relevant procedures and training received
- Not share any confidential information relating to the children, nursery or families using the nursery
- Maintain the public image of the nursery and do nothing that will put the setting into disrepute
- Ensure that parental relationships are professional and external social relationships are not forged. If a relationship exists prior to the child starting at the setting, discussions with management will be held to ensure the relationship remains professional
- Adhere to the Mobile phone and electronic device use policy and Social networking policy
- Report to management immediately any changes in their personal life that may impact on the ability to continue the role. These may include (but are not limited to) changes in police record, medication or any social service involvement with their own children.
Monitoring staff behaviour
Within the nursery we:
- Conduct regular peer observations using all staff and management, during which we observe interactions between staff and children
- Have regular supervisions with all staff in which ongoing suitability is monitored and recorded
- Have a Whistleblowing policy that enables team members to discuss confidentially any concerns about their colleagues
- Operate staff suitability checks and clauses in staff contracts to ensure any changes in their suitability to work with children are reported immediately to management
- Ensure all new staff members are deemed suitable with the appropriate checks as detailed in the Safer recruitment of staff policy.
Some behaviours that may cause concern and will be investigated further include:
- Change in moods
- Sudden change in religious beliefs and/or cultural beliefs (which may indicate radicalisation)
- Changes in the way they act towards the children or the other members of the team (becoming more friendly and close, isolation, avoidance, agitation etc.)
- Sudden outbursts
- Becoming withdrawn
- Secretive behaviours
- Missing shifts, calling in sick more often, coming in late
- Standards in work slipping
- Extreme changes in appearance.
Procedures to be followed:
If we have a concern about changes in staff behaviour within the nursery, an immediate meeting will be called with the individual and a member of management to ascertain how the person is feeling. We will aim to support the staff wherever possible and will put support mechanisms in place where appropriate.
Ultimately, we wish to ensure all staff are able to continue to work with the children as long as they are suitable to do so, but if any behaviours cause concern regarding the safety or welfare of the children then the Safeguarding children and child protection policy will be followed. In the case of allegations against a staff member, the Local Authority Designated officer (LADO) will be contacted.
All conversations, observations and notes on the staff member will be logged and kept confidential.
|This policy was adopted on
|Signed on behalf of the nursery
|Date for review