Allegations against staff
An allegation may be made by anyone and all allegations will be treated seriously and investigated accordingly.
An allegation is described as a concern or complaint and may indicate that a person has:
- Harmed a child
- Displayed inappropriate behaviour relating to a child that may constitute a criminal offence
- Raised concerns about the suitability of working with children#
First steps to dealing with an allegation made by a child- staff member:
Ensure the immediate safety of the child/ren
- Listen and record in writing what the child is saying
- Use the TED technique- TELL, EXPLAIN, DESCRIBE. Do not asking leading questions, e.g. instead of asking, ‘did he punch you?’ ask ‘what happened?’
- The Designated Safeguarding Lead must be informed immediately
- Staff are not to discuss anything spoken about while in the presence of the children or amongst themselves.
- The staff members involved will then be called upon as and when needed.
- While an investigation is pending or commencing the staff member may be put on non-contact duties within the nursery depending on the severity of the situation.
First steps to dealing with an allegation made by an adult- staff member:
- Ensuring the immediate safety of all child/ren
- Record in writing everything that you need to make the allegation
- Approach a safeguarding officer and discuss with them the next step.
- Everything is to be kept confidential and staff must not discuss the situation with any other staff member/ parent.
- The Staff members involved will then be called upon as and when is necessary.
- While an investigation is pending the staff member may be put on non-contact duties within the nursery depending on the severity of the investigation.
- LADO will be contacted for further advice.
Your onsite Designated Safeguarding Lead: Chevelle White – Manager of Rabbit Patch Day Nursery
Your Designated Safeguarding Officer: Benjamin Joseph – Deputy Manager of Rabbit Patch Day Nursery
Signed By DSL:
Print Name: Chevelle White
Signed by DSO:
Print Name: Benjamin Joseph